This sugar free tomato sauce is so bold in flavour and super easy to make. It should be a staple in your recipe index for the next time you need to reach for a jar of tomato sauce.
Knowing what goes into our food is a huge step to leading a healthier life for you and your family. Reducing sugars is also important with almost everything on the supermarket shelves containing added sugars, the build up in our bodies may certainly lead to weight gain and possibly even contribute to insulin resistance and diabetes.
A small amount of reparation and the stove will take care of the rest, easy enough to make along while you are in the kitchen cooking dinner or meal prepping other food. It will freeze beautifully, I like to put mine in different sized jars so I have varying quantities for different recipes.
I regularly use this in our cottage cheese baked chicken, topping a pizza base, meatballs, lasagne and chilli, it’s so versatile that it will easily make an appearance in almost any dish requiring a tomato base.
Basic tomato sauce
- 1 small onion finely diced.
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed or grated.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- 1 tin organic crushed tomatoes 400g.
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste.
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder.
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar.
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan, add onion and garlic sauté until softened.
- Add all the remaining ingredients to the saucepan, cover and simmer for around 15-20 mins. Stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and becomes very rich in colour and flavour.