Zucchini and Asparagus Tart Serves 6-8
Use up the best that spring vegetables have to offer, in this family friendly tart. Serve alongside a salad for a light meal as the weather warms up. This recipe was adapted from the BBC good food recipe for ‘crispy filo tart with seasonal vegetables’.
- 300g Asparagus, about 2 small bunches.
- 400g Zucchini (2 medium).
- 200g sour cream.
- 100g greek feta.
- 8 eggs.
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely diced.
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely sliced.
- 6 sheets of filo pastry.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil.
- 1 tsp lemon pepper spice blend.
- Salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 220C.
- Break off the ends of your asparagus and slice into thirds. If they’re really thick you may want to slice them in half length ways first. Place them into a bowl with 1/2 Tbsp olive oil and the lemon pepper.
- Slice your zucchini length ways in thirds, then slice thickly, add it to your asparagus and toss to combine. Place the vegetables onto a lined baking tray and place in the oven to brown for about 15-20 mins.
- Meanwhile prepare your herbs, and place them into a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and sour cream and whisk well. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Pull out a large rectangular baking tray, brush lightly with oil.
- Prepare your filo by placing one sheet down on your bench, lightly brush with oil, layer another sheet on top, repeat until you have 6 sheets down. Lay your filo sheets over your tray and fold in the sides a little, still leaving plenty up the sides for mixture to go into.
- When the vegetables are lightly browned, place them onto your prepared filo. Pour over your egg mixture, crumble on some feta, brush the edges with any extra oil, tuck them in more if you wish and return to the oven (turn oven down to 180C) and bake for 40 mins, or until set.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
If you don’t have fresh herbs use 2 Tbsp of dried herbs instead. Our Tzatziki spice blend works beautifully in this dish.
If you do not have any lemon pepper mix, use the zest of 1-2 lemons and season well.
This dish freezes very well. Wrap in individual portions and you’ll have some easy meals ahead!
Also a great dish to cook if you like to eat left overs. They keep well for up to 4 days.
Per serve (Approx.) for 6 serves
328 Calories 1372 kJs
18g Fat 26g Carbs 16g Protein