Warm Eggplant Salad Serves 6
Why not try our high protein, high fibre, vegan friendly, gluten free, vegetarian salad?
Eggplants are an excellent source of fibre, copper, Vitamins B1, B6, B3, K, manganese and folate. They’re rich in phytonutrients which have antioxidant activity.
So next time you see this gorgeous purple vegetable, why not pick some up and give this a go?
- 2 large eggplants, sliced thick.
- 1 450g packet of firm tofu, sliced thick.
- 1/2 can (112.5g) of chick peas, drained.
- 40g greek feta.
- 3-4 Tbsp olive oil.
- 2-3 Tbsp lime juice.
- 1 Tbsp Zaatar seasoning.
- 1 tsp lemon pepper mix (or zest of 1 large lemon).
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced or grated.
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely diced.
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely sliced.
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- Prepare all your vegetables.
- Heat a large griddle pan or BBQ.
- In a mixing bowl, add the tofu, 1/2 Tbsp of oil and the zaatar seasoning. Stir to combine. Pan fry until lightly charred. Remove and place back into bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl add your eggplant, lemon pepper mix, salt and 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil. Stir to combine. Fry until nicely charred.
- While the eggplant is cooking, finely slice your herbs and garlic and place into the bowl which the eggplant was in. Add the chick peas and feta.
- Slice your tofu into strips and add to the herbs, once your eggplant is finished cooking, you will add it to the rest of the ingredients. Add 2 Tbsp lime juice, stir well, taste. Adjust seasoning according to your taste. You may wish to add extra lime juice and oil.
If you don’t have any zaatar seasoning, perhaps a sprinkling of sesame seeds and sumac will suffice. Alternately you could just use the lemon pepper mix also.
This salad re-heats very well and can also be frozen to re-heat at a later date.
You could easily use lemon juice instead of lime.
Per Serve (Approx.)
219 Calories 916 kJs
13g Fat 10g Protein 17g Carb