Turkey & Basil Mushrooms
When winter hits i seem to crave mushrooms, the beauty of this meal is that it’s easy to serve in winter with a side of vegetables, mash or rice. Just as it is in summer, with a side of salad. It is a very good portion of food for those hungry days, with a low calorie count and packed full of B vitamins and antioxidants.
- 500g Steggles Turkey mince.
- 2 Tbsp Basil Pesto.
- 100 grams feta (Bulgarian or Greek).
- 100 grams Mozzarella.
- 8 – 10 large portobello or brown mushrooms.
- 1 250 gram packet of frozen spinach or kale (de thawed).
- 1 Onion, finely diced.
- 1 tsp crushed garlic, or 2-3 cloves fresh, finely diced.
- 100 g brown lentils (1/2 can, drained.)
- 1 Tsp olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 200C. 1. Finely chop your garlic and onion, add olive oil to a large saucepan, add your garlic and onion and sauté on medium heat until lightly golden.
- Add your Turkey mince and brown. Put the Pesto, feta and spinach and lentils into the pan, simmer on low, adding around 1/2 cup water or Chicken/Vegetable stock to the pan if it is too dry.
- While the mixture is simmering, prepare your mushrooms. Remove the large stem from the inside (freeze for later use if using in a broth), wipe down if needed, place them face up on top of a large baking tray.
- When mixture is reduced, but still holds a little moisture, it is ready to start scooping out onto your mushrooms. Divide evenly, using as many mushrooms as necessary.
- Bake for 20 mins, pull the tray out of the oven and top with mozzarella, place back into the oven and bake for a further 5 mins or until golden brown.
You can omit the lentils without much of a flavour difference, we like to add as much fibre into our diets as possible, so this is a great little recipe to add them in!
Play around with the pesto, If you’re not a fan of basil, try a sun-dried tomato, or parsley pesto.
The mixture freezes very well, so if you have don’t need to cook for a whole family, you could freeze half the filling mixture and have it on hand for an easy weeknight meal later on down the track. Win – win!
Note that Turkey mince can actually vary greatly in Fat content! We have found Steggles to be much leaner than some of the other brands. So in some cases, pork or chicken mince would be an excellent alternative
Nutritional Value (Per serve) (approx.)
Prep 20min Cook 25min
Cal 381 Kj 1594