Sausage and Capsicum Casserole (Serves 4)
This Sausage and Capsicum Casserole is budget friendly, delicious and super easy to make. It’s a good protein meal and can be kept low carb by serving alongside a refreshing cucumber salad. However, if you’re looking to indulge and really enjoy a hearty winter warming meal, serve it up with some Crusty Rye Bread.
- 500g pack of Italian style sausages, sliced thickly.
- 2 large capsicums, 1 red, 1 green or yellow, sliced chunky.
- 2 large onions, sliced thick.
- 400g tin crushed tomatoes (plus a full tin of water after you’ve poured the tomatoes in).
- 425g tin whole champignons, drained.
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or grated.
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste.
- 1 tsp dried basil.
- 1 tsp dried oregano.
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes.
- 1/2 tsp salt.
- 1/4 tsp pepper.
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Prepare all your ingredients.
- Heat olive oil on medium/high heat in a dutch oven, add your sausages and brown. They don’t need to cook all the way through, you just want some colour to them.
- Add your onions and garlic, sauté for about 2 mins.
- Use your balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan, add the herbs, stir for a few minutes, then add all remaining ingredients.
- Cover, turn down heat to low and simmer for about 50 mins.
At step 4 you could transfer your dish into a pre heated oven on 180C, with the lid on to cook for an hour. The longer this dish is cooked, the more intense the flavours become.
This meal can also be made in a slow cooker, it just doesn’t thicken up as much.
If cooking for young children you could omit the chilli or take it down to 1/4 tsp, this suits us well.
Mushrooms, could also be omitted if cooking for young ones.
This meal freezes well.
Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr.
(Per Serve Aprrox.)
Cal 443 Kj 1853