Dinner in 30 minutes? Yes, please!
This quick, one pot wonder is a family favourite of ours. Loaded with vegetables and spices, it’s warming, nourishing and budget friendly. Does that check all your boxes? You can make it vegetarian or Whole 30 by simply following the suggestions at the end.
Healthy cooking need not be expensive, most of these ingredients are very common and cheap to buy. A visit to your local green grocer can often find you saving money with specials on seasonal produce. It’s also a great recipe to simply use up any vegetables you have on hand.
Mexican Hash with eggs
- 1 small sweet potato diced.
- 2 carrots diced.
- 1 medium zucchini diced.
- 1 small capsicum diced.
- 1 chorizo diced.
- 1 tin canellini beans drained.
- 1 brown onion finely diced.
- 3 cloves garlic grated or finely diced.
- 1 tin organic crushed tomatoes. *
- 2 Tbsp organic tomato paste.
- 1 tsp oregano dried.
- 1 tsp taco seasoning.
- 1 tsp tempero baiano seasoning.
- salt and pepper.
- 4-6 eggs.
- Prepare all your ingredients.
- Heat a large frypan on medium, add your chorizo, onion and garlic. I find the chorizo lets out enough oil to brown up the onion and garlic, add some olive oil if you need to. Sauté until lightly browned.
- Add the spices, stir until fragrant, then add the rest of your remaining ingredients (except the eggs).
- Use some broth or stock if you need extra liquid, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the sweet potato are tender. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Make a well in the mixture to crack the eggs into, allowing one egg per person. Cover and cook for about 5 mins. You’d like the white to be cooked but have some wobble in the centre for a gooey yolk.
- Serve warm with some crusty bread and a sprinkle of fresh parsley or cilantro.