This beautifully balanced green smoothie incorporates 3 healthy seeds to boost our cardiovascular health and nourish our bodies.
Utilising linseeds we are also getting a great dose of Omega 3 essential fatty acids, which are vital for our health.
Many people who don’t eat fish may find it tricky to maintain good levels, so this is a win for them.
Keeping our smoothie more vegetable based provides us with good fibre and alkalising properties. Green leafy herbs and vegetables provide us with calcium, vitamins A, C and K along with a huge dose of antioxidants.
Adding some extra spices such as turmeric and ginger will aid in reducing inflammation, boosting metabolism and contributing to overall good general health.
Lemon is a great detoxifier, so another win for us!
Heart healthy green smoothie
- 3 celery sticks roughly chopped.
- 1 orange peeled and quartered.
- 1/2 persimmon roughly chopped.
- 1 cucumber sliced.
- 4 large leafs of kale substitute with spinach if you want.
- Small handful parsley.
- 1-2 pineapple rings depending on how sweet you like it.
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice.
- 1 Tbsp pepitas.
- 1 Tbsp sunflower seeds.
- 1 Tbsp linseeds.
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger.
- 1/2 tsp turmeric.
- Pinch of pepper.
- 1 tsp honey optional
- 500 ml water.
- Prepare all your ingredients and place them into a large blender.
- If you have a spice or coffee grinder, grind up your seeds, this will make a much smoother drink. Add them to your blender.
- Add remaining ingredients, blend on high for about a minute or until it’s a smooth consistency.
- Pour into serving glasses. Makes 2 really large serves, or 4 smaller glasses.
Only use honey if you really need to, the pineapple makes it sweet enough, and a smoothie should be a healthy drink, not laden with excess sugar.
Keep the peels on your produce for a higher fibre content. Fibre is important for gut health and will keep you feeling fuller for longer. Unless you have SIBO or IBS issues, which I would then recommend you peel all the vegetables.
Click here for more healthy smoothie recipes