Gluten Free Trifle
Indulge yourself with this healthier version of a traditional Trifle, made using beef gelatin, which is great for good gut health and removing the traditional sponge cake, makes this gluten free and removes all the hidden nasties that usually come with it. By sourcing your own juice you know that the jelly will be free from numbers, additives and unnatural sugars.
- 4 Cups of Sugar free juice (I used cranberry).
- 1 1/2 Cups Strawberries, sliced. (or mixed berries).
- 3 Tbsp Beef gelatin.(I use Gelatin Health, Digestive health Beef Gelatin).
- 400g full cream milk.
- 100g thickened cream.
- 1 tsp vanilla.
- 3 egg yolks.
- 20g gluten free cornflour.
- 30g raw sugar.
- 600g peaches in natural juice, drained.
- 400g thickened cream.
- Pour 2 cups of juice into a saucepan, sprinkle the gelatin over the top and let it absorb for 5 mins. Heat gently, stirring frequently, until the gelatin is dissolved. Turn off the heat. Add the remaining 2 cups of juice and stir in. Pour the juice into your serving bowl and refrigerate for about 30 mins, then place your berries into the jelly. Cover and place back into the fridge. Let it set for 3 hours or overnight.
- In a Thermo mix or kitchen aid, place your raw sugar and blitz until powdered. Add all your remaining custard ingredients and cook for about 6 mins on 80 C speed 4. (see notes)
- Let custard cool slightly before pouring over the jelly. Refrigerate again. While you’re waiting for the custard to set, whip your cream, you can add vanilla if you wish.
- When the custard is set, place the peaches on top, add the whipped cream and garnish with mint leaves, some cherries or berries, and a sprinkling of dark chocolate shavings (optional).
If you do not have a Thermo Mix or Kitchen Aid, you could make this on the stove top. Add all the ingredients into a pan (you might have to use powdered sugar) and whisk to incorporate, whisking the custard as it thickens. Or alternately, you could use a store bought custard. Try and find a low sugar variety if possible.
You can use any type of fruit that you like, keeping in mind that berries are lower carb than most fruits.
Make this ahead, it will keep well for 3-5 days.
rest 4-6 hrs
If you enjoy my recipes, please click on this subscribe link and I will update you once a month with new recipes. Just once a month I promise!! I hate spam!!!
This is for 12 serves Approx.
268 Calories 1121 kJs
24g Carb 17g Fat 3g Protein